Monday, January 5, 2009

"We ain't going to the town, We're going to the city"

Bodie: what about the pawns, how do they get to be the queen
D: it don't work like that
Bodie: but i wanna be the queen
D: bode...the pawns just get pushed around by the bigger pieces. they almost never make it. that's how the game is played.
Bodie: yeah, unless they some smart-ass pawns.

-------------------------------------------

Love costs a great deal of energy. It demands understanding, patience, the recognition that one gets out of the way and celebrates someone else. I am utterly exhausted after my long vacation. Nothing too spectacular but that's how I like it. Home and then Norway. Illinois. It was so good to see those harvested crop fields spread out as far as the horizon would allow. It was also so good to see people whom I love dearly. Especially those who I see but twice a year now. But I'm exhausted and back in Boston where I get work done.

There is always more work to be done.
------------------------------------------

I've been listening to Interpol almost non-stop save for the occasional detour. I can't tell you why Interpol or why now...it just is. I've also been on a HUGE Milch kick. Watched all of his lectures that I had and watched all the behind the scenes stuff for both Deadwood and John From Cincinnati. And I decided to try to adopt his ideas about "resting transparently in the spirit which gave you rise" and "ego suppression at depth" for the actual work of philosophy. Get the self-conscious neuroses about being good enough--will the professor like it--is this even what I should be doing--get all of that out of the way and focus on the task at hand.

So far, so good.
-----------------------------------------

Pray for my WPS paper...I fear I might have no idea what I'm doing. But I might also be okay with that for now.

rest transparently friends.

1 comment:

Ian said...

"It was so good to see those harvested crop fields spread out as far as the horizon would allow."
Rereading your paragraph, I realize you were referencing the actual literal fields in Illinois, but I at first that you were making a metaphor about our friendship/group. I feel like when we meet like we do we reap from each other our experiences and wisdom that we have learned from when we last met and then as we spend time together we carefully plow and resow these fertile fields of our friendship and check in everyonce and awhile to make sure our "crop" is doing well. In terms of "as far as the horizon would allow" I thought you were talking about the fact that we keep getting physically farther apart. I guess all this is to say I am a cheeseball and miss you Brit and I really enjoyed New Years.